.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Writing

Writing has become difficult lately. I'm becoming more aware of the fact that I am a lousier writer than I thought myself to be.

I am reserved. I keep many thoughts to myself. I think better than expressing myself. I have difficulty speaking up. I have problems letting myself go. I want always to project a confident, on-top-of-things image when I am really falling apart inside.

I always thought I was good. Now, I know I can't be any worse.

I need rescuing.

1 Comments:

At 11/28/2005 11:34:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bro.

One of the problems with writing is, we don't always write what we mean and we don't always mean what we write. We are constantly changing. Sometimes I wake up the following morning and I am appalled with what I wrote the day before. But the truth is, my entry did accurately reflect how I felt at that very point in time. It all depends on what we really want to have in our blogs. If we are writing for others, or for pure entertainment, we need to constantly remind ourselves to be interesting and to write interesting. We write an entry that made the world laugh despite the fact that we are about to slash our own wrists the day after. That is fine for some bloggers, they need an audience. The truth is, everyone needs an audience. But if we are writing for ourselves, what then? What if we are really sad about our lives?

A friend once told me that my writing is getting too philosophical and depressing. Try to look on the bright side.

And the truth is, I am trying too. I see my blog as a form of self-revision. It helps others and myself know how I really feel about things. It's a process.

Os Guiness once said that we don't appraise artists by their common performances but by their best performances. The rest are just rehearsals. Being a good writer isn't easy, but if God has called you to write, bro, the best is yet to come! (Frank Sinatra).

S Tan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home