.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Burning Bridges

A friend of mine quit her job yesterday.

Suddenly. Dramatically. Painfully.

Blink.

I have been asking her to leave her poorly-managed organization (an oxymoronic term for this entity) for the longest time, so I'm happy for her. At the same time, I'm concerned as there are financial consequences.

Reminded me of the time when I quit my job 7 months ago. I had a job offer but that was for a 3 month engagement. Was risky but I took the chance. I quit but before I took that offer, I was offered a position at my present company.

One of the things that inspired me to quit despite the risk was something I read.

"A long while ago, a great warrior faced a situation which made it necessary for him to make a decision which insured his success on the battlefield. He was about to send his armies against a powerful foe, whose men outnumbered his own. He loaded his soldiers into boats, sailed to the enemy's country, unloaded soldiers and equipment, then gave the order to burn the ships that had carried them. Addressing his men before the first battle, he said, "You see the boats going up in smoke. That means that we cannot leave these shores alive unless we win! We now have no choice—we win, or we perish!

They won. Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to burn his ships and cut all sources of retreat. Only by so doing can one be sure of maintaining that state of mind known as a BURNING DESIRE TO WIN, essential to success. "

Napoleon Hill calls this idea - Burning Bridges.

Burning Bridges can be painful, but I'm confident, my friend, it will be all good.

In the end.

4 Comments:

At 1/07/2005 12:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stepping out of comfort zone isn't easy seriously. Still remember u telling me we need to know what we want in life and what are our goals. Hope yr friend be determined, perhaps follow yr "model of success" and find a good job soon! meow

 
At 1/07/2005 09:04:00 AM, Blogger isaiah_sg said...

"Nobody said it was easy, it's such a shame for us to part." - Coldplay

 
At 1/08/2005 12:54:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well i guess it is always easy to quote that story when all goes well ( isn"t there a similar chinese story as well?) but would be regreting leaving no escape route if you lost the war. But it's true most sucessful tend to have the thinking that they have nothing to lose and all to gain.

 
At 1/08/2005 01:34:00 AM, Blogger isaiah_sg said...

"Courage is as often the outcome of despair as of hope; in the one case we have nothing to lose, in the other, everything to gain". - Diane de Pointiers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home