.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Friday, October 15, 2004

Work=Play?

"His language is song, his work is play"
- On Orpheus


Someone told me this morning there's life outside this blog.

I wish she have told me earlier.

Someone NICE left me a comment and asked me whether I consider work a play or play a work.

By the way, in a perfect world, NICE people read my blog and leave comments. NICE people tell you what they think: 'Hey, that sucks' , 'I don't agree with you' or 'Great job'. NICE people tell other NICE people about this blog. At least 10 others. NICE people visit your blog everyday. Twice.

But we're talking about a perfect world.

Reality bites.

So, let's get back to the question.

Ideally, work=play and play=work. It's neat concept. After all, there are overlapping areas and we shouldn't have to artificially separate work and play. For example, a rock star on tour who really enjoy music and groupies will have problems with that.

That and STDs.

Practically, I think it works better if we separate them. First of all, it means our bosses can't abuse this: "Why don't you work longer since you're having so much fun?"

Yeah, right.

We like to think we are sophisticated creatures and can handle it all. Our brains are indeed powerful. It's just that much of that works in our subconscious. Our conscious minds are more limited and need clear signals. For example, for people having problems sleeping, it is encouraged that they reserve the bed for sleeping and not work, reading and television.

(Sex is allowed, of course, and encouraged.)

This is useful because the brain will associate the bed with rest and peace, instead of the mixed signals that it had before.

Clear distinctions work.

While it is important to have distinctions in thinking conceptually about work and play, it's not necessary when it comes to ATTITUDE.

In other words, we should be playful when it comes to work and work hard when it comes to play.

I always like actors who play around. No, not with the help. But with the script, with directions, with meanings, with ideas. A script can be perfect and the direction impeccable, but as Al Pacino suggests, sometimes spontaneity is more important. And that comes with hard work and a playful attitude.

The business and engineering world are also working hard at playing.

As much as I want to elaborate, I'm taking my play time seriously and if you like, I will share more next time. For now, it's time to play.

Blogging is hard work.

1 Comments:

At 10/18/2004 12:51:00 PM, Blogger isaiah_sg said...

Hi Coral,

Thanks for popping by. I was at your site but I couldn't find a place to post a comment or find a email address.

Your site is unique. You have interesting beliefs as well as aesthetic sensibilities, which I do not share. Having said that, I will not be surprised in the least if we have more in common than we can imagine.

Keep writing.

- isaiah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home