.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Friday, November 05, 2004

the simple indian life (fri)

Mumbai is a city of opposites.

For a city of great beauty, there is appalling pollution.

For all the glamour and sophistication of the Bollywood and the business community, there is the omnipresent commonwealth of the poor, hungry and homeless.

For a city of such illustrious heritage, there are indisputable signs of its progress.

I did not have much opportunity to walk around the city.

But when I did, I liked what I saw.

Particularly, the European-Indian architecture of its public buildings.

Call me old-fashioned and archaic. But I like my public buildings grand, primeval and with strong links to the past.

I don't know whether you have seen the design of the new Supreme Court in Singapore, designed by Sir Norman Foster. I think someone sums it best by saying, "Who put the UFO there?"

I know most of us will not have a personal use of the Supreme Court. But imagine that one day, you are accused of a crime you did not commit. And the nation's highest court is your last remaining hope. At a time when you're desperate for justice, for decency, for respect, how would you feel standing before this extra-terrestrial, wok-like building?

I think I rather stay in my cell, write my farewell letters, have a superb last supper and say to the Man in the Sky:

Beam me up, Scotty.

3 Comments:

At 11/08/2004 09:47:00 PM, Blogger charlieboy said...

how about a picture of said building ... when you get a chance that is.

didn't get to see it when i was home. or maybe i just plain forgot. =)

 
At 11/08/2004 10:16:00 PM, Blogger isaiah_sg said...

It's not up yet, dude. But do click on the link I provided.

It's a render of how the final scene will look like.

 
At 11/09/2004 06:07:00 PM, Blogger charlieboy said...

oops. sorry. didn't notice the link. it is quite ugly, yes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home