.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Saturday, February 11, 2006

3/20

You will know, by now, faithful reader, that I am boring.

So when it comes to meeting people for the first time, I don't talk about cool things, being uncool myself.

I talk about books.

What do your read? Like Borders or Kinokuniya? Favourite book/author?

That kind of thing.

Unfortunately, many people ('tis unfair since I make like 3 new friends a year) don't read and when they tell you that, your aspirations for everlasting friendship and brotherly/sisterly love are somewhat diminished.

Many who read, you get excited at first and then you ask them whether they read Murakami/Hornby/Ishiguro.

Specifically Wind-up Bird/High Fidelity/The Remains of the Day.

If they heard of those names but have not read them, sure, they can be friends but hey, friends don't last forever.

If they read them, I almost immediately expect an unyielding torrent of praise, adoration and really the Hallelujah chorus. If this doesn't happen, I start thinking whether I want friends with such poor judgment and no soul whatsoever to speak of.

So there you have it. Now you know why I make 3 friends and drop 20 every year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home