.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Monday, January 30, 2006

The Polysyllabic Spree

The Polysyllabic Spree is Nick Hornby's monthly account of what he's read. He lists the books that he buys and the ones that he actually reads, and like me, his failure here is recalcitrant.

Yes, I'm guilty - yesterday, today and forever. Amen.

I hide my books. I can't face them all, knowing they remain unread. I have ruined their purpose driven lives.

What will Mr. Warren say?

And what about Shakespeare (Complete Works), McEwan (Atonement), Garcia Marquez (One Hundred Years of Solitude), Conrad (Nostromo) and Steinbeck (The Grapes of Wrath)? What will they say to me when I'm in book heaven?

Thou art false.

I will thus be cast out of book heaven, alongside those who borrow books but don't return and defacers of library books.

And what would I find in book hell?

In the beginning, wasn't the Word.

Selah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home