.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

America

Walking into my American colleague's hotel room was somewhat illuminating.

We are both about the same age and do our fair share of traveling.

I always pack extremely light.

But not him. In the toilet, I see a big tube of toothpaste and a full-sized bottle of foam.

I see his clothes and his shoes and there are a lot more than mine.

A giant-sized packet of beef jerky sits on top of the television.

It seems a lot to bring.

I'm probably reading too much into this but I see America here: in all its bigness, its abundance and its excess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home