.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Monday, October 18, 2004

I cheated!

I cheated an old lady yesterday.

Dinner at Jackson Kopitiam was a galore of chili, crab and carbohydrates. By the time I was done, I was desperate to wash my hands. But it was going to be tricky.

The clever people at this coffeeshop has the place set up so that you need to pay 10 cents to use the washing facilities. I know it isn't much but how do you get to money when both your hands are dirty? I mean the whole point of getting that delicious chili off your hands is to get to the money. The money will get you more chili, some tasty beverage to wash down all that chili, some quality companionship to share the chili with and get rid of all kinds of messy chili in your life.

But how do you get rid of the chili when you can't get to the money to get rid of the chili?

Believe me, if Alanis had to go through this shit, you would hear about it in Ironic.

But she's a bloody vegetarian.

Back to my hands.

The toilet was well guarded. But the old lady had to leave her seat to get to something. I had to be fast. I had to be quiet. But I was ready. 2 and a half years in the Armed Forces had trained me well in the Pre-Emptive Strike.

Swift and Deadly.

I got in safe. Washed my hands quickly. Now, I wanted to give 10 cents to the old lady. And to my horror, I realized I had no change and only a $50 note in my pocket.

So I sneaked out - without paying.

That was yesterday.

Today, I feel guilty as hell.

And that was before church.

I cheated an old lady making a simple and decent living.

The next time you go to Jackson Kopitiam, would you be kind enough to drop an extra 10 cents when you use the toilet?

That is if you trust a shameless deceiver of old ladies to pay you back.

7 Comments:

At 10/17/2004 11:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha!!! I like this one.
Hey you owe me 70 cents for the coffee this morning!
I'm kidding. I think SL paid. All the same, I think that's the last he will see of his 70cents. You'll probably say all you have is a $50 note again. Ed

 
At 10/18/2004 12:35:00 PM, Blogger isaiah_sg said...

Hi Edifying Ed,

I don't lose sleep when a highly-paid oil executive buys me a 70 cents cup coffee.

By the way, coffee was on me yesterday.

- isaiah

 
At 10/18/2004 10:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. I didn't like your blog today. You seem lazy to come out with this title of I cheated!. Keep your inspiration and thought working or I would be back to your blog.

 
At 10/18/2004 10:50:00 PM, Blogger isaiah_sg said...

Hi,

Thanks for your comment. You're right. I was struggling with the title and I took the easy way out.

What did you not like about the entry today? The writing or the title or both? And why?

Thanks again and keep posting.

- isaiah

 
At 10/19/2004 09:57:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi isaiah

As you mention writing a blog is hard work. Since you start off well which I congralulate you, you are committed to give your reader content that speaks to issues in their past or life from your view.

For I cheat!, I was thinking you might write about the crab. The crabby life, or the thought of the old lady. I know if you want to write a good blog you can.

I will continue to visit your blog.

 
At 10/19/2004 05:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I apologise if this sounds harsh but I believe strongly that we shoudn't be paying 10cents to use the toilet, not at Jackson Kopitiam or any other hawker centre. Here's the reasoning, how much would it cost for the hawkers to pool sufficient funds to maintain the toilets or better still, why shouldnt this be included in their monthly rental of their stalls. To top it up, it's not like these people are actually keeping the toilets clean... they're always out of toilet rolls and the freaking floor is always wet with God knows what, and not to mention the SMELL!

So, my point to you is that you shouldnt feel an ounce bad for not putting in the 10cents. On the contrary, you may be feeling bad that someone waits all day by the toilet to collect pittance and you didnt part with what was an insignificant amount to you. But this wouldnt be happening if my first argument was taken up, would it?

 
At 10/19/2004 07:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wby dont you guys kiss and make up, instead of haggle over 80 cents, hmm..

i was actually quite interested in the chilli you were describing..was it thai chilli or the garlic and salty type or the balchang type ~drools~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home