.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Friday, January 14, 2005

Just the Facts, Mam

I felt uncomfortable when I saw a Channel News Asia journalist appearing as a guest on this morning's breakfast show on television.

She was describing her experiences in covering the tsunami disaster in Indonesia.

It is one of those things where you feel that something is not right but you don't really know what is wrong.

I'm trying to figure it all out.

For someone who reports the news on television, being objective, factual and unemotive, even detached, these are important to me. I'll take a "Just the Facts, mam" attitude anytime. I don't want to know too many personal details or accounts of experiences that are framed in subjectivity. I know it's impossible to be totally objective, but if you make an effort, people will know and appreciate it.

If a news anchor would ask her for a short comment when she was reporting the news, I think that's fine. Especially considering the scale of the disaster. But this was a morning breakfast show, and she spoke for a long time, I would say 10 minutes at least.

I don't know whether I'm right on this but what I know was, I was uncomfortable. And I think when I see her on air reporting, my opinion of her, which was formed through the interview, would cloud whatever she says.

I think the news should be the news, the newsmakers should be the newsmakers and the reporters who report the news should just report the damm news.

1 Comments:

At 1/26/2005 08:34:00 AM, Blogger charlieboy said...

Hey man, you should listen to Jack Johnson. He got this song called The News. Very close to what you are talking about. Think you will like his wit and thoughts in his other songs as well... btw, I got some good news...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home