.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Of Love and Eggs

Nugroho’s newest work is a delight to watch.

The film festival booklet proclaims.

I was really looking forward to my only Asian entry for the festival.

Afterwards, I was slightly disappointed. My impression of it was that it tried to be an Iranian film.

Minus the magic.

After all, there are similarities. Children. Islamic values and background.

I read a review that describes this as a Neo-Islamic film, in the vein of early Egyptian comedies.

I thought it would be much better if there are less characters to focus on. It wasn't confusing but I didn't have enough time to fall in love with any of the characters. I didn't like the happy ending, was hoping for more irony.

To be fair, I think I'm disappointed because of my expectations and bias towards certain Iranian films.

I must say the lead actress is hot. She looks like Halle Berry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home