.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Sunday, January 08, 2006

How to be good

How to be good?

I ask myself today. It's not a question I ask often. My faith doesn't talk about good a lot cos good doesn't bring you nearer to God. God brings you to God so we talk about being Godly.

But how to be good is a good question.

Some people say there is no answer. I say bullshit. There is an answer if you look for it. But it's not going to be easy. It may not appear overnight. You may die not knowing the answer.

The answer will lie with you. But you have to brutally honest. Crazily honest. Honest to goodness honest.

Which is damm hard.

And when you find your answer, you may find that being good isn't everything. Cos who determines what good is.

I think that's the ultimate question.

The really ironical thing in life is that people who have that answer aren't really interested in doing good.

3 Comments:

At 1/09/2006 09:19:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1994, I was leaving school and moving out of the familiar watching eyes of a teacher. She gave me a note with three words "Please be good" and she reiterated "no matter where you are and what you do, always remember."

2006, today, I remember her words and her love. I can only say I am trying, still trying. Goodness requires more than actions, it embodies lots of thoughts, and thinking to determine the whats and the hows.

I will continue to think about being good and what it really means as I go on, and I wonder if I will ever be able to figure "it" out when I complete my journey.

 
At 1/09/2006 10:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sir,

I like what you say a lot. The previous India entry too. It feels strange, being in a place like India. The disparity between the rich and the poor is an issue that will probably go on forever and ever.

A lot of people say there is a lot of goodness if we look at the world hard enough. Maybe I am blind or stupid, but I can't see it no matter how hard I look, even at myself.

S Tan

 
At 1/11/2006 09:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bro I have good and bad news for you.

Rachel started a new blog, and I'm closing down mine.

You decide which is good and which is bad. Ha ha.

Don't miss me over here ya?!

When ya come back, let's meet soon. Got some things to tell you.

S Tan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home