.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Aliens

Thanks to Tom Peters, I got to know this quote from Captain Kirk himself, William Shatner:

"We meet aliens every day who have something to give us. They come in the form of people with different opinions."

There are friends - people who read Murakami/Hornby/Ishiguro and there are aliens.

My understanding of aliens is best explained by giving you a real example.

The Tank, frankly drives me mad, sometimes. Her thinking/logic/tastes is so alien to me that the words "evil twin" and "doppleganger" come to mind.

But you need people like that in your life - to stop you from taking yourself too seriously, to question your actions and motives, as an alternative to exercise for cardiovascular benefits.

You get the idea.

I think aliens are good to have in your life. But like real ones (???), meeting them too often is simply asking for over radiation, insanity and a short life.

2 Comments:

At 2/12/2006 06:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha... E.T. seems more adorable and less infuriating. But the idea of aliens, or at least pseudo is strangely exhilarating if not illuminating. peace.

 
At 2/12/2006 08:51:00 PM, Blogger Iceman said...

I like Murakami. I am a friend.

I am an alien. I am an enemy.

I'm alienated from myself. I am my own enemy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home