.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Monday, December 27, 2004

Japan: Disneyland

I was tearing a little when I stepped into the entrance of Tokyo Disneyland.

All of my childhood, I desperately wanted to visit Disneyland. Finally at the age of 30, I fufilled my childhood dream.

I really wished my dad was around.

Anyway, was there the whole day. Alone, but really happy. I did almost all the rides I wanted, except for Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear and Winnie the Pooh rides. Damm. Really wanted the first 2 rides.

But the rest was fun. Not terribly exciting but fun. Thought the Lethal Weapon ride at WB Gold Coast was a lot more exciting.

I find the whole idea of Disneyland fascinating. It's a happy place and for some strange reason, I can't stop smiling the whole time there. (Maybe it's the case of too many Saturday mornings watching The Wonderful World of Disney when I was growing up.) Seeing Cinderella Castle with my own eyes was kinda of inspiring. It started off as a possibility in some artist's head and now to stand before it in all its reality and concreteness is simply amazing.

There is a "Partners" statue of Roy Disney and Mickey in front of the park. It inspires me to think about Walt Disney the artist. To have a whole body of work that creates an industry itself is a mammoth achievement. But to have a body of work that continues to inspire generations of young and old, to make them believe in a better world, to make them laugh and forget their troubles, an artist cannot ask for anything more.

"I would rather entertain and hope
that people learned something
than educate people and hope they were entertained".

Walt Disney

2 Comments:

At 12/28/2004 01:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, are you going to post some photographs fm Japan?

 
At 12/29/2004 07:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

U gave up Akihabara for THAT!!??
nekotang....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home