.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Monday, December 27, 2004

Japan: Food

I finally found it.

I now know my last meal request should I ever land up on Death Row.

Here's my answer: Sushi and Sashimi from Tokyo.

I've been told about the great food in Tokyo. I did try some ramen, some soba, a cake, some croquettes, small pieces of shabu shabu and steak. All pretty good but nothing beats the out-of-the-world sushi and sashimi.

(By the way, after this trip, I have decided to stop using the label semi-vegetarian, as I am when I am home in Singapore. I make exception when I travel, to sample selective local cusine. Instead, I think it's easier for me to say apart from fish, I rarely eat meat. )

But really with those heavenly sushi and sashimi in Tokyo, who needs other kinds of food?

The thing that frightens me is that I haven't even tried premium sushi yet. But it's already so good. Most of the sushi that I have eaten is from a chain of restaurants called Tsukiji Sushiko.

"TSUKIJI SUSHIKO (Sushi & Sashimi Restaurant) Roppongi Branch of a famous Tokyo chain of top quality fish restaurants.

The restaurant is small, only two tables (max 8 persons), and a "Sushi Counter" for about I2 people. The food is excellent, the quality of the fish top class, and the prices very budget minded for a sushi restaurant. You can eat for 10, 20 or 30 dollars depending the number of beers or sake you drink.

The have only one menu in English with photos of the dishes, but you can always see at the counter what is on sale from the fish of the day.

Tsukiji Sushiko is a "hole in the wall" located in the middle of Roppongi Crossing, corner of Gaien-Higashi Street & Imoaraizaka, next to Citibank Cashing Corner & in front of Almond Coffee Shop the landmark of Roppongi Crossing & the Meeting Point at the Crossing."

My first experience there was great. We sat at the counter and the chef was slightly cheeky without being rude. He speaks little English but we were able to get by just reading off the Japanese menu with the nice pictures of the sushi.

There were 3 sushi chefs on duty and they would handle about 3 -4 different parties each. We would order 1-2 sushi each time. The chef would make it fresh on the spot and then move on to other customers. Then he would look at us, signalling it's time for us to order if we wish. Hence, he was dictating the pace of our dinner, which was a very refreshing change for me.

I don't know whether it was because I lacked sleep but 2 glasses of Asahi and I was feeling light-headed. But Asahi and Sushi = bliss.

(Do check out this page: http://www.digitalsushi.net/)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home