.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Red Meat

I post this with certain hesitation.

Some of you know that I'm semi-vegetarian (I don't eat meat except fish/seafood). I make an exception when I travel (in the US, I had half a burger and in Japan recently, I had a tiny piece of yakitori).

I'm not posting this with an holier-than-thou attitude. Neither am I going to say I-told-you-so. Cancer is a humbling thing. You can eat right and still can get cancer. But if eating less meat means decreasing the risks, some of you might want to consider.

For those of you who are interested, it's not as difficult as it sounds. I'm not known for my tremendous will-power but one day I decided to stop and since then, it's been smooth sailing.

If you decide not to go all the way, even cutting down on meat is very wise.

Take time to read this:


"International scientists yesterday delivered a long-awaited verdict on red meat, concluding in a definitive study of the eating habits of half a million people that beef, lamb, pork, veal and their processed varieties such as ham and bacon, increase the risk of bowel cancer.

Those who eat two portions a day - equivalent to a bacon sandwich and a fillet steak - increase their risk of bowel cancer by 35% over those who eat just one portion a week, the study found.

The World Health Organisation's international agency for research on cancer (IARC) called for everybody to eat more fish and less meat. "

4 Comments:

At 6/15/2005 10:35:00 PM, Blogger charlieboy said...

but according to known research, eskimos who eat more fish than meat die not from cancer but mostly from brain haemorrage (is that how u spell it?) due to too thin blood or mecury... dunno which one. I guess its all about balance. i tend to believe that a strong organic fruits and vege diet with organic food supplements of antioxidant vein is the way to go. my 50 cents. how u anyway? just had dinner with scene che when she was here. her friends very unfriendly and... not pretty.

 
At 6/15/2005 11:36:00 PM, Blogger isaiah_sg said...

Interesting... I didn't know about Eskimos with brain haemorrhage. Did a search. I found this on http://ijch.oulu.fi/issues/63suppl2/ICCH12_Kjaergaard_1.pdf:

"It has been a commonly held belief that theexcess mortality and morbidity due to cere-brovascular disease was related to an increasedincidence of intracranial haemorrhage in theInuit population. We recently disproved this be-lief, finding intracerebral haemorrhage (sub-arachnoid haemorrhage and traumatichaematoma excluded) a rare cause of cere-brovascular accidents, the majority being of is-chaemic aetiology."

I think it may mean that haemorrhage doesn't happen often. Instead, the report associates stroke with smoking as a major factor.

 
At 6/15/2005 11:38:00 PM, Blogger isaiah_sg said...

oh dear... unfriendly and not pretty... sound Singaporean. but bet they use makeup and dress well.

 
At 6/27/2005 12:52:00 AM, Blogger charlieboy said...

actually not even makeup or dress well... scene che dress better. what a let down...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home