.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Terrors of Tokyo

Just came back from Tokyo.

It was a good trip, except I was ill. Not to mention, the terrifying old ladies of Tokyo.

After 2 days at the Hotel New Otani, I moved to the Hotel Yaesu-Ryumeikan, an almost perfect location for that price, with its close proximity to Tokyo Station and Ginza.

I paid US$68 a night for a Western style room, without an attached bathroom.

The public bathroom was next to to my room so out I went to check whether it was available. To my horror, as I entered its outer door, a naked old lady holding a piece of towel, in one hand, barely covering her modesty walked out towards me.

I just ran.

Back to my room. Locked the door. Catch my breath.

Terrifying.

In the subway, I sat opposite a mad old woman, who was singing, what seemed to me, a rather patriotic song and talking at the top of her voice. I've seen my share of mad people, usually on television, at a place called Old Trafford, but this is something else. Japanese are rather reserved, very private people. So for a woman in Japan to be so loud, no matter how mad, is uncomfortable. It was interesting to see how the others reacted. No one really smiled, save for a teenage girl, who tried hard not to laugh. Most were clearly uncomfortable. That's probably better than indifferent.

At Yoyogi Park, on my way to the Meiji Shrine, I fell. I landed on my side. First thing I saw was a group of old ladies. Judging from the sound of their squeals, me falling was probably one of the most exciting things that happened to them. Anyway, I got up, bowed several times and made a graceful exit.

2 Comments:

At 6/10/2005 10:47:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You seem to have a way with old ladies, even naked ones. Hee hee. I am gonna take a really long break soon. My turn. Tokyo here I come! Hee

Mr S Tan

 
At 6/10/2005 10:59:00 AM, Blogger isaiah_sg said...

I'm sure you'll love Tokyo. Good, you deserve a break. How do you like my Milan Kundera quote?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home