.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

No time for the mediocre

I'm reading Harold Bloom's How to Read and Why, among other things.

In Amazon.com's review, the writer explains Bloom's sense of urgency as a result of his old age and therefore has no time for the mediocre.

I am 31.

Last week, at the Esplanade library, I picked up Laws of Attraction, apparently a romantic comedy starring Pierce Brosnan and Julianne Moore.

I was deciding between that and Hou Hsiao Hsien's Good Men, Good Women.

You could have told me this, but I ended up wasting 90 minutes of my life watching the very poor Hollywood comedy.

Maybe it's just me. But whenever I see a new book/DVD in the library, especially a fresh virginal one, I tend to just want to grab it. Devour it. Smell it.

Do you smell that? It's a new book, son. Nothing else on the world smells like that. I love the smell of new books in the morning.

To plagiarise Robert Duvall in Apocalypse Now.

Thanks to my nose, I end up reading and watching contemporary work that is as soulful as the new Supreme Court Building.

I have less patience for bad food though.

Last night, I was at Pizza Taglio. I understand the name and its facade will undergo a revamp, with BreadTalk buying their way in.

Let's hope their food and eccentric service will go away forever and never come back.

There's been too many bad experiences lately with food. Drinks even.

What about people?

Don't ask.

Thank God for books. And Milou.

1 Comments:

At 9/01/2005 08:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sir you brighten up my lousy day la ha ha

S Tan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home