.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Numb3rs

Numb3rs is the latest CSI-inspired show to hit television. I spent part of my CNY break watching the first 3 episodes. It's pretty good. Here's a introduction of the show:

"Rob Morrow stars as FBI agent Don Eppes, who recruits his mathematical genius brother, Charlie (David Krumholtz), to help the Bureau solve a wide range of challenging crimes in Los Angeles. From two very different perspectives, the brothers take on the most confounding criminal cases, aided by Don's partner, Terry Lake (Sabrina Lloyd), and new FBI recruit David Sinclair (Alimi Ballard). Although their father, Alan (Judd Hirsch), is pleased to see his sons working together, he fears their competitive nature will lead to trouble. Charlie's colleague, physicist Dr. Larry Fleinhardt (Peter MacNicol), urges Charlie to focus more on his university studies than on FBI business. Inspired by actual events, NUMB3RS depicts how the confluence of police work and mathematics provides unexpected revelations and answers to the most perplexing criminal questions."

There are quite a few reasons why I like this show. But one of the key factors is Charlie, the mathematical genius. It inspires me to see someone so passionate about his craft and on top of his game. It puts me to shame when I consider my own passion and skills.

I saw a similar passion in the work of Claude Lelouch, after seeing his Un homme et une femme during the break as well. The film won the Palme d'or at Cannes. I watched his interviews on DVD and he is very inspiring. There is a just a wonderful sense of urgency and authority about him.

Recommended watching. I love this reviewer's comments:

"In the end, it's an interesting piece of film history. I fear it's lost much of its luster over the years, though the terminally romantic (emphasis on terminal) will find it endlessly endearing."

Endlessly Endearing indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home