.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Shall We Dance?

Shall We Dance?

I saw this on Sunday. Reluctantly, as my friend wanted to see it.

I thought it was ok. I didn't see the original, but heard it was funny.

Here's a line from the Hollywood version:

"We need a witness to our lives. There's a billion people on the planet... I mean, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything. The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things... all of it, all of the time, every day. You're saying 'Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go un-witnessed because I will be your witness'."

This is great.

The foreign brides issue is pretty hot here in Singapore. I had some conversations with different people regarding this. It's complex and I know many people have strong views over this matter.

I have great sympathy for the many men who cannot find a wife here and resort to "buying" foreign brides. For some of them, it's not an issue of women's rights, money or society's norms.

They may simply be desperate for a witness to their lives.

2 Comments:

At 2/03/2005 03:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It causes one to wonder if his own life is worth witnessing. Hee hee.. let's go witnessing one day bro!

Mr S Tan

 
At 2/07/2005 07:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi isaiah

Your blog life will not go unnoticed, as I and many who read it will be your witness. I am always so encourage by your sharing.

SL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home