.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Robinsons

I love Robinsons.

Despite their pathetic range of handkerchieves.

It's a name I trust, it's a place where I go to shop and it's a memory I cherish.

When I shopped with my dad, there's the only place I remember going. He used to know many of the people that worked there.

I remembered the tailors there, who always have tapes around their necks, tall and respectful of my dad.

I remembered the people in the crystal and china department where my dad would spend hours, going through the Swarovski range and sniffing around decanters and admiring the porcelain pieces.

My dad is no longer around. But the quality of service in Robinson's is still pretty amazing. I bet you will not find a departmental store in Singapore that offers better service.

Here, it's not the greet-everyone-nevertheless-and-at-the-top-of-your-voice attitude you'll see in Giordano or U2. Rather, it's the motherly and fatherly attitude of many of the old uncles and aunties that work here.

The funny thing is that I met and elderly salesman, who is not your conventionally customer-is-king kinda of guy. In fact, he was slightly stubborn but never in a superior or offensive way.

I enjoyed his service very much.

Despite all its warehouse sales and in-store promotions, Robinsons is still a classy place for me. A Robinsons' price tag is still a class apart from an Isetan, a Metro or even a Takashimaya. Like a popular football saying goes, "Form is temporary, class is permanent".

Having said that, I know this won't last forever. I will enjoy it while it lasts.

2 Comments:

At 2/05/2005 11:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'handkerchieves'???

 
At 2/13/2005 06:57:00 AM, Blogger isaiah_sg said...

Thats the right word for us in the Commmonwealth, thanks to our colonial fathers. Thankfully, we have not inherited their love for tea and cricket.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home