.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Highlights

Jazz
Was at SFJAZZ for Roy Haynes 80th Birthday Party. Read about him here. I didn't know you can play like that. He's played for Louis Armstrong, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, and Dizzy Gillespie. I was also very impressed by Christian McBride, "the most gifted bassist of his generation". So glad to be there. Would have loved to go and see Bob Dylan but that was sold out. Damm.

Colleagues
Helpful and funny. One loved jazz and passed me a bagful of CDs to rip. I miss them.

Sex
I moved to the Hotel des Arts in the city for a short holiday. Was living in a part of the building where it was U-shaped, the room opposite my window was only 10-15 feet away. While trying to get my blinds down one night, I saw the couple opposite having sex in all their naked glory. Frankly, would have stayed longer to watch but it was too close for comfort. Fascinating. Returned 10 minutes later to get the blinds down and saw only the guy lying down with his prick reaching for the sky.
I'm still recovering.

Castro
Wasn't there on a weekend so wasn't too exciting. But minutes after exiting the car, an elderly gentleman did nod at me. Was glad to be chaperoned by 2 lesbians, who were there to protect my virtue.
The Castro Theater was the loveliest cinema hall I ever laid eyes on. Very pretty. I know. That's such a gay thing to say.

Museum
Love the SFMOMA and Legion of Honor. One thing about museums though is you need time to enjoy and experience. Learnt that you can't use pens in the museum since you might deface the artwork. They gave me a pencil for my notes. Also, you have to carry your bag with your hand in front of you. Slinging it on your shoulder might cause accidents when someone knocks into you. Didn't have such restrictions in China or Singapore.

I love Diego Rivera's Cargador de flores (The Flower Carrier). I love its message and its color. Bought a postcard but its far from the same.

Walking
The steep stairways of San Francisco can be a killer. Some roads, I had to stop for a while before proceeding further. See pic here. It's frustrating if you're lost cos there's a lot of climbing to do. Downhill is fine, uphill is no laughing matter. I did have a most enjoyable walk from Fisherman's Wharf to the Coit Tower, and to Washington Square and then North Beach/Chinatown. Till I got lost in the Financial District.

Food
American food is relatively bland and unexciting.
Spanish is another matter. My colleagues brought me to B44 at Belden Place where I had a most delicious arros negra, seafood and rice colored black by squid ink. Wash those lips when you're done.
If I were to visit again, I would eat lots more oysters (I had that at Zuni's) and milk shakes. Not together though cos that will be painful.
And watery.

Golden Gate Bridge
I walked across and back. Foggy but still a great view. I did the cruise too, went underneath. The narration on the cruise was very well done, the best I heard so far on all my travels.

Weather
Sunny and cold. Bloody lovely. Exceptional.

1 Comments:

At 3/19/2005 04:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very interesting n kinky highlights u've got there. heee. So good to travel and learn more about different countries. cat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home