.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Apology to self

Note to self:

I'm sorry for not blogging. I've been busy. But it's no excuse. How do you become a writer if you don't write? I'm being ridiculous. No, I am ridiculous.

---------------------------------------

Hmm, it's funny how I started with "note to self". Isn't a blog your very own note? Guess, I've been writing for people, rather than writing for myself. Writing for laughs, when I should be writing for progress, for truth, for peace.

---------------------------------------

I've busy being a leader. I've stepped up some weeks ago, agreeing to lead a team of volunteers to run a website that inspires youths to dream big, take action and live the dream.

It's been a while since I was a leader. At least in the official sense. Can't say I don't enjoy it but means there are things you don't do as much as you like to. Like reading and reading and reading.

I guess I don't do very much.

I was working on 2 presentations yesterday and finally committed many of the thoughts that have been swimming around my head. Writing is indeed powerful.

I can see clearly now.

On paper, it looks great. It feels great. Is it great?

Still, on paper, it looks great.

One of the message I'm getting out is how we work in the organisation. Our working principles is to empower, act and reward.

This is consistent with our objectives - dream big, take action and live the dream.

In dreaming big, we are inspiring our community to believe that nothing is impossible as long as we put our minds to it. We are empowering mindsets.

In taking action, we are saying dreaming isn't enough. It's time to act. So act now!

In living the dream, we are recognising the importance of creating the future now as well as the importance of reward in learning. We want to reward those who have taken action. A rock star wannabe who has taken action will be given a backstage pass to a concert and if possible, follow a singer for a day to see what a rock star's lifestyle is.

I want to empower the team so that we can act fast and decisively and reward them. With praise, with food, with strong, good, honest feelings.

Anthony Robbins talks about primary questions. My primary question is now this : How can I empower my team?

I'm reading Bill Jensen's Simplicity. He wanted to find out the question that most employees would like to ask in handling changes in a company. 60% of the questions was among Jensen's Change Behavioral Communication Model:

Why change?
How is this important and relevant to me?
What do you want me to do differently?
How will I be measured and what are the consequences?
What tools and support do I get to make this change?
WIIFM -- What's in it for me? And for us?

The answer was tools and support. People wanted to the "right tools, right time, right way" so that they do less and focus more.

So empowering people is a great way to work. I need to work hard on getting them the tools, the budget, the people to run our programmes.

Like I said, it looks good on paper.

It's up to me to make it happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home