.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Friday, March 25, 2005

Reading Aloud

"After evaluating ten thousand research studies, the U.S. Department of Education's Commission on Reading issued a report, Becoming a Nation of Readers (1985), which goes so far as to state that "The single most important activity for building the knowledge required for eventual success in reading is reading aloud to children."

I haven't read aloud for a while, especially in front of a group.

So when I had to do it today, it felt strange.

I went online to find some information about the importance of reading aloud and found it to be extremely crucial for the development of a child's education.

Nothing is said about its importance to adult themselves until I modified my search entires a number of times.

I found on a romance site that reading aloud to your partner is a good way to share some time together. Short stories are recommended.

Another site talks about the importance of reading aloud when you are proofreading or when you are tired. You will understand the material better when you hear it, especially if you're an auditory learner as compared to a visual learner.

A weight-loss site talks about reading aloud as an exercise of gratefulness.

"I am grateful for the food I eat, its taste, its texture, its variety and its temperature. I appreciate that I have food. I particularly appreciate the existence of the following foods:________(Fill your own blanks)."

It argues that eating excessively is often an emotional issue and happy and appreciative people are less likely to stuff themselves.

For me, I think that reading aloud helps me to slow down and look at the text. I have my own version of speed-reading. The speed is there but I'm afraid that comprehension isn't always. Some, if not all, speed-reading books will tell you its ok not to have read everything or100% comprehension. The mind is a wonderful thing, they'll tell you and it magically puts everything together.

But it shouldn't be always about speed.

“if a book is read aloud by a skilful reader who is intelligent enough to know the text and able to express the meaning of a complex sentence, or thought, by vocal inflection, then it helps a young child to “read” a book they might not be able to take in through the eyes. And it forces them to SLOW DOWN, which is a blessing.”
- Phillip Pullman


I did, after some persistent searching, to find an article about reading aloud for adults.

Maybe we should start with this.

Aloud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home