.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

the simple life

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Sorting it Out

I was talking to a friend the other day.

He's been a bit down lately. Most likely, for a long period of time. He's seeing a shrink, experimenting with meditation and trying to "sort things out".

I was telling him that sorting things out was probably the worst thing that he could do.

It's a confusing time to be a human being. There are so many theories out there, so much information, such a diversity of thought on one single issue that it threatens to paralyze us with indecision.

Take for example, I have made a decision to see only 2 insurance agents (or financial advisers since they much prefer this term). Even so, I find the array of plans being offered to me overwhelming.

I am a huge fan of thinking, contemplating and asking deep questions. But I think the worst thing to do when you're down is more thinking. Under those conditions, I find thinking to be unproductive and rather unwise.

I am encouraging my friend to be doing rather than thinking. To have small goals and to enjoy small successes. And taking small steps but enjoying consistent results. I hope this will help my friend get into the right frame of mind before trying to "sort things out".

There are many ways to make a film. One is the Hitchcokian way where the director plans in extreme detail and execute it in perfection. Another way is taking advantage of creative accidents and letting it work to the betterment of the film. An accomplished editor such as Walter Murch would be an expert in the latter.

It's funny how sometimes when we stare at a problem till we are blue in the face and get no answer. But when we are busy doing the routine things in life, sometimes things get sorted out by themselves.

Life is funny.

1 Comments:

At 3/26/2005 01:47:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In instances like this, I fully agree that it is better just to get out of this deep dark pit, instead of trying to analyse how you fell into it in the first place. As if knowing how you fell would improve how you feel. I am waiting for my creative, divine accident too. Kafka once said that because of the unpredictabillity of life, the possibility of a creative miracle remains. For if everything was expected and predictable, wouldn't it be monotonous?

Mr S Tan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home